Thursday, August 25, 2016

BBQ Pellets Traeger Smoker

Food Grade BBQ Pellets
Pellet Storage

BBQ Pellets Traeger Smoker


Pellet Grills a Brief History Lesson

Traeger would use the sawdust and scrape wood from the Lumber industry and create Pellet stoves used for heating.  At some point they got the idea why not make Pellet Grills.  If you go to a hardware store you may notice Pellets used for heating much cheaper then food grade pellets.  No matter which brand of Pellets you buy make sure they are always food grade.  The heating pellets have ugly chemicals in them I'm told.

Pellet Type

Some people are very passionate about there pellets.  If you go to the Traeger User groups on Facebook you will notice some people only use Traeger Pellets, others use Lumberjack.  There are many other brands like Pit Boss, B and B and Cooking Pellets to name a few.

Another huge debate is weather or not  non Traeger brand pellets void the warranty.  The consensus seems to be it does not.  Ill let you decide which pellets might be right for you.

Pellet Flavor

I find that Pellet Flavor doesn't  matter but then again I may not have the most sensitive pallet.
Here is a chart from the Traeger website which talks about which pellets to use with meat fish etc.

Pellet use Chart
Recommended pellet usage
above chart from traeger 

Pellet Storage

Pellet Storage is also very important after I open My pellets I store them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  I also store the unopened pellets off the floor on a shelf in the Garage.  I use a colander to sift the pellets before I use them to remove the dust.
Sifting Pellets
Pellet Sifter

BBQ Pellet and supply shelf
Pellet Storage Shelf

BBQ Pellet storage
Pellet Storage




No comments:

Post a Comment